15 Celebrities Who Have Battled Eating Disorders
Eating disorders are mental illnesses. These disorders are usually defined by abnormal eating habits that harm a person’s physical and mental health. The eating disorders don’t just include not eating food; they also include binge eating disorder, anorexia nervosa (people who eat very little), bulimia nervosa (people who eat a lot and then try to rid themselves of food) etc. As you can see, eating disorders are much more complicated than people usually think and they affect many people. It is still not clear what causes eating disorders, but it seems like both genetic and environmental factors play a role. There are many celebs who battled eating disorders and they are are ready to share their stories with you.
1. Demi Lovato is one of the sincerest celebrities today. The 23 years old singer and actress often opens up about the demons in her past: Demi struggled with bi-polar disorder and bulimia. She said that bulimia was an addiction and it took over her thoughts completely. It wasn’t easy for Demi to get rid of those troubled demons, but with enough support and love from her family, she successfully overcame her problems, including bulimia.
2. Christina Ricci also battled an eating disorder and in her case, it was anorexia. The Addams Family star looked very thin and she even blamed her eating disorder on watching trash TV: “At the time that I was starting to diet and stuff, I saw this TV movie, and I thought, ‘Ooh – anorexia. I could probably do that.'” Luckily, Ricci won the battle with anorexia and today she looks healthy and of course, she is still very beautiful.
3. Kelly Clarkson became widely knows as the first winner of American Idol. However, even though she won everyone’s hearts with her voice and her songs, people were not satisfied with her looks. She was often ridiculed for her curves on the show, but Kelly admitted that she suffered from an eating disorder as a teen: “I thought…If I came back and I’m cuter and thinner…then I’ll get the role.”
4. We all know Portia De Rossi as that pretty and sexy girl from Ally McBeal, but did you know that Portia was another celebrity victim of eating disorder? After Portia joined the Ally McBeal cast in 1998, everyone praised Calista Flockhart for being thin. As time went by, other women from the show also started losing weight, and Portia was affected as well: “At the time, I was 19, and that was the year that I started taking prescription diet pills. Obviously I don’t blame these women for that, but I can honestly say that as stupid as it sounds, their existence was a contributing factor in hating my own body.”
5. Katherine McPhee opened up on her experiences with eating disorders as well. The 31-year-old Idol runner-up was suffering from anorexia as a teen: “It was how I dealt with emotions and uncomfortable situations. It was literally a drug.” It seems like Demi Lovato described eating disorders perfectly, they are truly an addiction. Celebrities especially have the power to influence young people who often feel insecure about their bodies.
6. Speaking of Idol, ex-judge Kara DioGuardi also made a confession about her eating disorder. The 44 years old singer and songwriter said that she wasn’t exactly starving herself- she was actually addicted to binge eating, but once she noticed that she can’t help herself anymore, she ended up in a treatment center specialized in eating disorders. Kara definitely did the best thing- she talked to professionals about her illness.
7. Sharon Osbourne is one of the most influential women in show business: she is married to the living legend, Ozzy Osbourne, she is Kelly Osbourne’s mom and besides being incredibly interesting in her own reality show, Sharon was also making us laugh while watching America’s Got Talent. But Sharon also battled eating disorder: after gastric bypass surgery, the original momager said that she battled bulimia for 35 years.
8. Remember when Ashlee Simpson almost became new Avril Lavigne? Fortunately for Avril, that never happened, and Ashlee quickly disappeared from show business. Ashlee was also famous for being Jessica Simpson’s younger sister, and she has always been much skinnier than Jessica. Ashlee admitted that she battled anorexia when she was practicing ballet as an 11-year-old.
9. Jamie-Lynn Sigler became insanely popular for the role of Meadow Soprano on HBO’s hit TV show, The Sopranos. Jamie also opened up about her eating disorder and she became an ambassador for the other girls who battled the same illness: “It is a tough thing to talk about it, but it is actually therapeutic for me.” Beautiful actress was struggling with bulimia when the show debuted in 1999, and she was on the verge of taking her life: “I seriously contemplated suicide,” said Jamie.
10. Can you believe that Jessica Alba ever had a problem with her body? Sin City star is one of the fittest women today, and many women would give anything to have a body like hers. However, Jessica was extremely worried about her weight when she was younger. She realized that she has a serious problem once she dropped below 100 pounds. Jessica learned how to cook for herself, and she says it helped her a lot.
11. One of the popular Spice Girls, Geri Halliwell became too skinny after her girls band broke up. As time passed, British pop star became thinner and thinner, until she looked almost unrecognizable. Geri admitted that she was feeling hopeless but also, she said that her weight problems were caused by her life problems and not by battling with body image. Whatever the case is, we are glad that she looks healthy today.
12. Okay, so Mary Kate and Ashley were always thin. But when Mary Kate sought treatment for her eating disorder in 2004, we were all shocked. One of the most famous twins ever battled anorexia ever since she became an adult. According to some sources, she felt inadequate when living in the shadow of her twin sister Ashley and she used to starve herself. Fortunately, Mary Kate is living a healthier life now.
13. Another Spice Girl, Victoria Beckham has always been famous for her thin figure. Victoria changed her style throughout her career, but once she became all skin and bones (and fake boobs) we were kind of worried whether Posh Spice is feeling okay. Victoria then admitted in her book Learning To Fly that she “flirted with anorexia”, and she said that she has been much more obsessed with her appearance in the past.
14. Snooki has changed quite a bit since her “meatball” phase. Jersey Shore star was openly problematic during the show and fortunately for her, she found her peace once she married the man she loved and had a child with him. Snooki says she suffered from anorexia as a high school cheerleader. Popular reality star confessed that she would only eat crackers or cucumbers until she was too thin, and then she decided to seek help.
15. Contrary to the popular belief, it’s not only girls who suffer from eating disorders. Caleb Followill, the Kings of Leon frontman, revealed that he battled anorexia as a teenager. Caleb said in an interview that he was constantly exercising, running on hot days and doing numerous push-ups. The famous singer said: “I always thought I wasn’t good enough.” Fortunately, Caleb got his eating disorder under control and today he is happy with himself.