15 Celebrities With Autoimmune Diseases
When you’re a celebrity, people think that your life is so easy. Of course, that is not true, and just like anyone else, celebs face the same problems we all have. Unfortunately, some of those problems are autoimmune diseases. From multiple sclerosis to Grave’s disease, these celebrities live with autoimmune diseases and they encounter challenges just like everyone else. However, being a celebrity also means you have to maintain a certain public image. So nobody really knows what is going on hours before celebrities with autoimmune diseases go on stage. Those who are aware of the importance of support are often organizing charities and other types of organizations that help people with these diseases.
1. Toni Braxton is one of the celebrities who suffer from lupus, an autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body. Toni was always honest about having this autoimmune disease. She also often talked about it on her show Braxton Family Values. She even shared with her family and fans the fact that lupus sent her to hospital on two occasions. Toni has been raising awareness and she is helping those who suffer from this disease too.
2. Jack Osbourne was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis shortly after the birth of his first child. Ozzy Osbourne’s son admits that he is trying to stay positive and live with all the ups and downs of multiple sclerosis. Unfortunately, this autoimmune disease has taken away about 80 % of the vision in his right eye, and he is experiencing weakness, muscle spasms, as well as speech impairments.
3. It’s always sad to hear that someone so young is suffering from an autoimmune disease. Selena Gomez also suffers from lupus, and when she decided to cancel her tours, it wasn’t because she partied too hard as many people thought, it was actually because of this disease. However, we hope Selena will conquer this considering her age, and support she gets from her fans. Selena admits that support means a lot to her.
4. Seal is famous for a few things: his fantastic voice, his marriage with Heidi Klum and his scars. But did you know that he got those scars from his fight with lupus? Seal actually suffers from discoid lupus erythematosus, which is a special type of lupus that affects the skin. Seal was diagnosed with lupus as a teen, when he started losing hair and soon the scars emerged as well. Many people still think Seal got those scars from a tribal fight (?), but the truth is unfortunately different.
5. R&B singer and Grant Hill’s wife, Tamia was diagnosed with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis in 2003. This is actually the most common type of multiple sclerosis. Tamia says she is winning this difficult autoimmune disease with a rigorous diet, exercise and special medication. She also admits that her husband, NBA icon Grant Hill, is a great support to her and they are taking care of her health together.
6. Ann Romney, Mitt Romney’s wife, suffers from multiple sclerosis as well. During her husband’s campaign, it was revealed that his wife needed to slow down and take some time off the campaign because of this autoimmune disease. Ann was actually diagnosed back in 1998, when Mitt said that those were the worst days of their lives. She is feeling better now she is embracing a 2,500-year old therapy- riding horses.
7. Montel Williams is another famous face of multiple sclerosis. He decided to devote his life to health and awareness when he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1999. Montel started a MS Foundation, which is a non-profit organization with a focus on research and education. Also, he is a marijuana legalization supporter, because it has helped him a lot in treating his autoimmune disease.
8. Missy Elliot is one of the legendary rap artists who came forward about her autoimmune disease- Grave’s disease, in front of everyone. Grave’s disease is a thyroid disorder that causes swelling of the neck or even bulging of the eyes. Fortunately, her conditions is not getting any worse and she is even considering coming back on stage. Missy admits increasing her gym time made her feel much better.
9. Michael J Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease in the early 90s, but he didn’t reveal anything until the 00s. The Back to the Future star admits that he used to have a problem with alcoholism, but today he is sober and he is fighting to establish bigger awareness about this autoimmune disease. He once said something truly inspiring: “There’s an idea I came across a few years ago that I love,” he says. “My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance and in inverse proportion to my expectations.”
10. Venus Williams got diagnosed with Sjögren’s syndrome in 2011. One of the most famous tennis players didn’t give up when she heard the bad news. On the contrary, she fights with it every day and she manages to keep it under control. Sjögren’s syndrome is a chronic autoimmune disease that makes our immune system attack exocrine glands. Venus became a vegan and she is on a very strict diet, which excludes processed foods or any other kind of unhealthy foods.
11. This may come as a surprise for all of you who haven’t been Keeping Up With the Kardashians for the last million years: Kim K was diagnosed with psoriasis a few years ago. She started noticing red dots around her body, when her dermatologist told her she has this autoimmune disease. However, unlike other stars we mentioned on this list, Kim is not doing anything to be a role model of many beautiful girls who suffer from psoriasis too.
12. Lady Gaga was unfortunately also diagnosed with lupus, but the good thing is that it is in its early stages. She admits experiencing problems because of this disease, and she had to cancel a part of her tour because of it. Lupus is genetic in her family, as Lady Gaga admits, and it affects her joints which makes it very difficult for her to walk without the help of someone else. We really hope she will manage to keep it under control.
13. Michaele Salahi, star in the reality television series The Real Housewives of D.C. suffers from multiple sclerosis, another vicious, autoimmune disease. Michaele wrote a book in 2010 in which she revealed that she suffers from multiple sclerosis after 18 years of silence. She admits that it was very liberating for her when she told everyone about her health problem. She also admitted that not even her family knew anything before she wrote the book.
14. Jennifer Esposito was diagnosed with celiacs disease, another autoimmune disease which affects the small intestines and disables the body from absorbing nutrients from food properly. She even collapsed once on the set of the Blue Blood, and later her character was written off the show. Jennifer admits going through tough time when she found out she was suffering from this disease, but now she wants to help other people who share the same problem.
15. Elisabeth Hasselbeck is another celebrity who suffers from celiac disease on this list. When she found out about it, she decided to help others as well, and wrote about her experiences in 2010. This is one of the things she wrote: ”People are using The G-Free Diet to treat everything from ADS and ADHD to depression. I’m blessed to have known this disease. I was able to extract from that this incredible diet, which is so wonderful that I wouldn’t change it if I didn’t have Celiac Disease.”