15 Celebs Who Responded to Fat Shaming
Celebrities are human too. All that shine and glitter can’t make them feel better when they are sad. And they are sad when people are rude, just like the rest of us. It is no secret that we live in a society where being different is still a taboo. It seems like no matter what this humanity is capable of achieving, we are still likely to judge people based on their appearance. And there is only one specie that can change it- we are talking about celebrities! Not-so-perfect celebs live a stressful life. They are judged by people everyday, but sometimes they respond in the most perfect way. We present you 15 best responses to fat shaming provided by celebs!
1. When Katie Hopkins tweeted about Kelly Clarkson, she mentioned how much weight Kelly gained. Kelly had the perfect response: “…Who are you? I don’t have a clue what you’re talking about. Someone tweeted something about me? Oh, and she’s tweeted something nasty about me? That’s because she doesn’t know me. I’m awesome! It doesn’t bother me. It’s a free world. Say what you will. I’ve just never cared what people think. It’s more if I’m happy and I’m confident and feeling good, that’s always been my thing. And more so now, since having a family – I don’t seek out any other acceptance.”
2. Lady Gaga is one of those celebs who doesn’t have any problems to say what she thinks. When someone started a discussion about her weight gain on Twitter, Lady Gaga responded that she would rather be fat than shallow. Of course, that didn’t keep people quiet, so she decided to take a photo of herself where she looks thinner than ever. The caption of the photo explained how it all depends on the pose. Tell ’em, Lady Gaga.
3. Adele is a big star with an even bigger heart. She knows how hard it is to be different, and she definitely knows how hard it is to be different than all those perfect Hollywood celebs out there. So when Karl Lagerfield was rude enough to discuss her weight publicly, she responded like this: “I’ve never wanted to look like models on the cover of magazines. I represent the majority of women and I’m very proud of that.”
4. Gabourey Sidibe is one of those stars you know are facing prejudices every single day. But she is doing her best to raise awareness about how useless it is to question somebody else’s physical appearance. Is it really that important? Once she was attacked on Twitter and her response was just perfect: “To people making mean comments about my GG pics, I mos def cried about it on that private jet on my way to my dream job last night. #JK“
5. Comedians usually have no mercy when it comes to making fun of everything and everyone, so making fun of themselves is something they are really good at. But when other people insist on things like fat shaming, something needs to be said. That’s why Amy captioned her super sexy photo on Instagram with this sentence: “I am a size 6 and have no plans of changing. This is it. Stay on or get off. Kisses!“
6. Liam Payne is another star who got sick of fat shaming. This is his caption on a photo he posted on his Instagram account: “Now just because I’m sick of seeing this everyday so I just want to clear up what the media do to people these days. Is it wrong to be normal? Or do I have to look like an Olympic swimmer just to get your approval into the cool kids or can I accept that the person I truly love thinks I’m the coolest kid in town anyway? Think I’ll vote the second one 😉 enjoy your day people”
7. You can’t fat shame Zooey Deschanel. She’s just too good for that. Famous actress has always been clear on her public image: she is not a typical Hollywood star and she never will be. Her appearance is not typical, her roles are definitely something else and she is not planning on changing that any time soon. That’s why she tweeted this perfect fat shaming response: “Summer menu: 1. full fat dairy, 2. carbs, 3. wine. Enjoy!”
8. You definitely don’t want to mess with Tyra! Former super model and TV personality is not someone who will stay quiet about important things. Although she is best known for being a Victoria’s Secret Angels, when Tyra gained a few pounds media literally bombed her with ugly headlines. And how did she react? She reacted like Tyra we all love! She said that “everyone who don’t appreciate her could kiss her fat a**!”
9. We all met Christina Aguilera when she was a former Disney star who was trying to beat Britney Spears on top charts. We also met her as a super thin young girl who later changed a lot, got married and had a baby. However, when her body transformed and she decided to embrace her feminine curves, many people judged her. This was her response: ”After being fat-shamed for a long time, she responded with: “I told (my label) during this ‘Lotus’ recording, ‘You are working with a fat girl. Know it now and get over it.”
10. Melissa McCarthy was one of the best Hollywood surprises ever. She is fun, extremely talented and she has no problem with how she looks. On the other hand, some people seem to have this problem, so once she was asked for her opinion on fat shaming, she responded like a boss: “I just thought, that’s someone who’s in a really bad spot, and I am in such a happy spot. I laugh my head off every day with my husband and my kids who are mooning me and singing me songs.”
11. If you still haven’t read Mindy Kaling’s book “Is everyone hanging out without me (and other concerns)” you definitely should. Mindy has described her troubles with insecurity since childhood days in the most funny and realistic way. When she was aksed why she doesn’t react to negative comments on her looks, she said: “If I wasn’t writing/acting in/showrunning my show, I would write long, thoughtful responses to a lot of things.“
12. Drew Barrymore changed a lot throughout the years. She was punk rock, she was drunk, she was sober, she smoked cigarettes, she quit, she was a star, she is a mother. People tend to judge those who change a lot, and Drew was no exception to that. However, she always seemed like she is okay with her life choices, so when she was asked how she responds to other people’s expectations, she said: “I don’t have enough room in my life for the neurosis of other people’s expectations.”
13. Jennifer Lawrence is a synonym for a person who doesn’t care about your opinion on how she looks like. She is famous for her roles as for her behavior that doesn’t really fit uptight Hollywood standards. When it comes to her physical appearance, Jennifer is very clear on what she considers important: “If anybody even tries to whisper the word ‘diet’, I’m like, ‘You can go f–k yourself.’” And we couldn’t agree more.
14. It’s not easy to be a man in Kardashian Klan. Rob Kardashian used to be really fit, and he was probably one of the hottest Kardashians out there, but he gained some weight and today he looks different. If you watched KUWTK, you know how much he struggles with this problem. But when it comes to critics, he has only one thing to say: “So I found out I was trending for being fat… thank you all it really made my day and to the blogs saying I went to fat camp or rehab LOL then why am I still fat? Y’all must have run out of real news.”
15. So what if Alyssa Milano doesn’t look the same? A woman has to change through the decades! Once Alyssa gained some baby weight, many people thought it was okay to publicly fat shame her. Of course it was less than okay to do this, but Alyssa had a perfect respond for her haters: “So sorry you felt the need to publicly fat-shame me. Be well and God Bless. Please send my love to your beautiful wife.”