15 Foods That Fight Cancer
Cancer is one of people’s biggest fears. This awful illness has taken many lives, and there is still no official cure for cancer. However, there are certain things we can do in order to prevent it. It has been said that stress is one of the biggest triggers for cancer. There is another way you can protect yourself from this horrible illness- you can eat healthier. According to the American Cancer society, one third of Americas die from diet-related cancer. Food we eat can have healing power only if we try to eat as healthy as possible. The list we made is not complete though, there are many other foods that are great for preventing cancer, but this is a good place to start.
1. Broccoli has a powerful chemical component called indole-3-carbinol. This component can also be found in cabbage and cauliflower, and it can combat breast cancer because it converts a cancer-promoting estrogen into a more protective kind. Except from this compound, broccoli also has phytochemical sulforaphane which is believed to prevent certain types of cancer. Broccoli sporuts have a consistent level of sulforaphane, and it is 20 times higher than levels in broccoli heads.
2. Everyone knows kale is healthy. But not everyone likes to eat it. Here is why you should consider eating more kale: kale has certain compounds (indoles, to be more precise) which have the ability to stop the transformation of certain tissues to cancerous cells. Also, kale has isothiocyanates which are though to suppress tumor growth. They also may block some substances which cause cancer.
3. Carrots are great for many reasons. They are good for our skin, nails and hair thanks to beta carotene. Beta carotene can help reduce many types of cancer, such as lung, mouth, throat, stomach, prostate and breast. Falcarinol is a substance which can also be found in carrots, and it has been found to reduce the risk of cancer. According to some studies, isolated cancer cells grow slower when exposed to this substance.
4. There are several types of mushrooms which can help body fight the cancer. These types are shiitake, maitake, reishi, Coriolus Versicolor and Agaricus blazei Murill. These mushroom types contain powerful compounds such as polysaccharides which help immunity become stronger. Mushrooms are also a great source of Beta Glucan and a proteil called lectin. This protein attacks cancerous cells and prevents them from spreading.
5. Sea vegetables such as seaweed also contain great amounts of beta-carotene. They are very rich in protein, vitamin B12, fiber and chlorophyll. Many sea vegetables may help the body fight against several types of cancer, such as breast cancer, thanks to chlorophylones-important fatty acids. Besides these helpful compounds, seaweed also contains high concentrations of the minerals potassium, magnesium, iron, iodine and calcium.
6. Avocados are powerful fruits! They are rich in glutathione, an antioxidant that has the ability to attack free radicals in the body. Actually, it blocks intestinal absorption of certain fats which can be bad for our health. Also, did you know that there is more potassium in avocados than in bananas? Avocado is a great source of beta-carotene as well! Because of all these facts, scientist believe avocados can treat viral hepatitis.
7. Grapefruits are super healthy! They contain monoterpenes, which are believed to help prevent cancer. By eating grapefruit, these substances are sweeping carcinogens out of the body. Also, according to some studies, grapefruit and other citrus fruits may inhibit the proliferation of breast cancer cells in vitro. Besides these helpful compounds, grapefruit contains a lot of beta-carotene, folic acids and vitamin C!
8. Grapes, and especially red grapes, contain bioflavonoids which are powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants work as cancer preventives. Also, grapes are a great source of another helpful substance, resveratrol, which inhibits the enzymes that have shown ability to stimulate cancer-cell growth and deteriorate our immune system. Finally, they contain ellagic acid which blocks enzymes that influence growth of cancer cells.
9. Papayas are rich in vitamin C! Vitamin C in papayas works as an antioxidant and it may help reduce absorption of cancer causing substances, such as nitrosamines, from processed foods we all eat. Besides, papya contains folic acid (also known as folacin). This substance has been shown to have a positive impact on minimizing cervical dysplasia , but also, certain cancers. Eat as much fresh papaya as you can.
10. Tomatoes are actually fruits and not vegetables! Another reason to love them is because they contain lycopene, which is a powerful antioxidant that has the ability to attack roaming oxygen molecules, also known as free radicals. Free radicals are infamous because of they are suspected of triggering cancer. The hotter the weather, the more lycopene tomatoes produce. Also, tomatoes have vitamin C!
11. Raspberries are yummy. However, you should eat them also because they contain plenty vitamins, plant compounds, antioxidants and minerals which have shown to protect our body against cancer. According to certain studies, by eating raspberries, black raspberries are good in preventing colon cancer. Black raspberries contain high amounts of antioxidants, and therefore they may help body fight cancer.
12. Flax is well known for being very healthy. Flax contains lignans, which have shown antioxidant effect and they block some cancerous changes in our bodies. Also, flax is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. These acids are great for protecting our bodies against colon cancer but also, heart disease. Don’t forget to blend flax before use, because if you eat it in “one piece”, it will not be digested and you will not benefit from it.
13. Garlic is one of the best foods for boosting your immune system. This is because of plenty immune-enhancing allium substances, such as dialyl sultides, which have shown to increase the activity of immune cells. These cells fight cancer and they may help our bodies break some cancer causing substances. Certain studies have shown that onions, leeks and chives lower the risk of colon cancer.
14. You have surely heard of many benefits of consuming turmeric. Turmeric is a member of the ginger family, so you know it is healthy. This spice is believed to have medicinal properties thanks to its ability to inhibit production of the inflammation-related enzymes. These enzymes can influence certain diseases and cancers, such as bowel and colon cancer. By consuming turmeric you will boost your health naturally.
15. Green tea and black tea are very good for fighting cancer cells in our bodies. These teas contain antioxidants which are known as polyphenols and they have shown to prevent cancer cells from dividing. According to certain studies, green tea is the best, followed by black tea. Polyphenols that are found in green tea, but also in red wine and olive oil, may also protect us from lung, colon, stomach, rectum, liver and pancreas cancers.