15 Foods With Negative Calories
Negative or zero calorie foods are based on a theory that these foods actually contain only a few calories which are canceled after you use energy to eat them. Sounds useful, right? Imagine the world where all food was zero calories- we would burn fat only by thinking about ice cream and chewing pizza would only make us slimmer. Unfortunately, this La La Land doesn’t exist, but we can satisfy ourselves with negative calories we have now! Whether you believe in this theory or not, the following 15 foods contain only a few calories, so they will not add up to your daily intake.
1. Admit it: when you eat celery, it actually feels like you are not eating anything at all. That’s why it doesn’t really come as a surprise that it has zero calories! However, if you want to lose some weight, stay off that celery filled with peanut butter, cream cheese or any kind of fat that makes your celery richer in taste but heavier for your weight. Total amount of calories per 100 grams of serving is 16!
2. Everybody loves oranges because of their refreshing taste and of course, because of the fact they are a real fountain of vitamin C. But did you know that oranges are low in calories compared to other fruits? Oranges can help you reach that caloric deficit you are aiming for because they are so low in calories, they actually keep your total daily amount lower than normal. There are 47 calories per 100 grams serving!
3. Cabbage is often mentioned when it comes to food that helps people reduce their weight. People also bring up cabbage for its ability to prevent cancer and even heart disease. Cabbage is so low in calories you can actually burn all of the cals. by making normal motions during the day. You probably already know about Cabbage diet that suggests eating cabbage for 7 days. Total amount of calories per 100 grams serving is 25!
4. Yum, asparagus! We usually eat asparagus as a healthy side dish to various meals. Asparagus is a great choice because of its fibrous nature which will keep you full for a longer time. It is also great because it has very few calories and it doesn’t add to your daily total! You can use it fresh in salads or you can just grill it or steam it. However, be careful with the butter or oil, because it adds calories to your dish. One serving of 100 grams has only 20 calories.
5. We know, not too many people love beets. But if you decided to eat healthy and reduce weight, try to reconsider your attitude towards beets. They are low calorie food you can either steam, boil or even grill! However, if you decide to eat them pickled, just be aware that this will add a bit more calories. Beets are great as antioxidants and you will be surprised when you read that 100 grams of beets contain 43 calories!
6. Cucumber is full of water people! It actually contains so much water, it doesn’t surprise us it is so low in calories. Cucumbers are great for salads because you can eat them fresh and they go well with all the other veggies, especially the low calorie ones. If you eat a few cucumbers, they will keep you full for some time and your calorie number will still be at minimum. Total amount of calories per 100 grams serving is 16!
7. Lemons are also often brought up when it comes to fruits that help us burn calories. They are also very rich in vitamin C, which makes them one of the healthiest foods out there. You can use as much lemons as you wish and you will not have to worry about the total amount of calories for that day. That’s exactly why you can drink water with lemon or just sprinkle lemon juice on fish or other dishes- 100 grams of lemons contain only 20 calories.
8. If you love to eat mushrooms, we have good news for you- no matter which mushrooms you prefer, the chances are they are going t be low in calories! You can eat them as a main or as a side dish, but one thing is for sure- mushrooms just can’t be high in calories. Portabella mushroom, which is one of the biggest and most popular mushrooms out there, has only 22 calories per 100 grams serving!
9. Watermelon also has very few calories, just like its cousin cucumber. Watermelons might therefore be one of the most perfect things in nature- it is very sweet and it is almost calorie-free! Also, watermelons have antioxidants that help our bodies in so many ways. They boost our metabolism, they replenish it with water during the summer and they contain only 30 calories per 100 grams!
10. Zucchini is very popular as a side dish so it is good news that it contains only few calories. You can even make zucchini bread out of them, which is great if you plan to reduce weight. Zucchinis also contain a lot of water, which is very helpful to our metabolism. You can grill eat, steam it and you can make pasta with it which is, let’s face it, pretty awesome. In 100 grams of zucchini there are only 17 calories.
11. Did you know that tomatoes are one of the healthiest foods you can eat? If you are a big fan of tomatoes, you will be pleased to read that they are very low in calories too. They contain lycopene, which helps in cancer prevention and they have great influence on skin. Also, they help us lose that extra weight because they have about 17 calories per 100 grams! If you combine it with other healthy veggies, you will feel full and satisfied.
12. We often mention grapefruit as one of the best fruits for weight loss. It has been known to speed up slow metabolism and it is recommended to heart patients after surgeries, so it must be good. Grapefruits also contain very few calories so you can use them to make fruit salads, detox juices or you can even grill them and add them to your main dish! There are about 42 calories in 100 grams of grapefruit!
13. If you are not a fan of kale, we suggest you give it one more chance. Kale contains protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients AND it manages to keep it low on calorie scale, so we can conclude it is very healthy. If you are searching for a snack alternative, try baking kale chips and don’t be afraid to spice it up! There are only 49 calories per 100 grams of kale, so yeah, it pretty good for your metabolism.
14. Who doesn’t love apples? We’ve all grown up on “an apple a day” but we might not be fully aware of how healthy apples actually are. They are full of vitamins, fiber, minerals and antioxidants! If you are on a diet that makes you count calories, apples are a perfect fruit for you because they are very low in calories. You can eat apples as a snack because they will keep you off junk food when you are hungry. There are only 52 calories in 100 grams of apples.
15. And finally, we present to you the king of all dishes- Onion. People use so many onions on daily basis, so it is definitely good news that they are low in calories. As you already know, onions have a really strong taste (and smell) when they are fresh, so we usually cook them or add them to main and side dishes. Onions are also knows for helping people reduce weight. There are about 40 calories in 100 grams of onions!