15 Foods You Should Never Eat
We all need food in order to survive. However, in modern world, we have so many choices when it comes to food that sometimes, we can feel a bit confused (and those Hollywood health crazes are not helping). Of course, we all want the best for ourselves: we want our food to taste good, to look delicious, to smell fantastic and- to be healthy. Unfortunately, sometimes the foods that taste and look the best are full of harmful ingredients. In order to live a longer and healthier life, you should always check the label for dangerous chemicals and additives. Also, you can check out this list that includes 15 foods you should never, ever eat again.
1. If you’re a big fan of baking cakes, you probably buy those tubs of yummy frosting. Sure, you know that frosting is not the healthiest ingredient in a cake, but the truth is, frosting may be the most harmful part of your cake baking- even in small amounts. Frosting contains trans fats, harmful additives that increase the levels of bad cholesterol in your body. Also, trans fats are one of the worst things you can do to your body if you are trying to lose weight because they encourage your body to store fat.
2. Packaged sandwiches are obviously the easiest solution when you are hungry and you don’t have time, but trust us, it’s better to prepare a sandwich on your own, than to buy those sandwiches from the stores. The reason for this is because packaged sandwiches usually have a large amount of calories- the average packaged sandwich from the store contains over 400 calories, and a lunch should not be over 200 or 300 calories.
3. When it comes to soy sauce, it seems like only yesterday people were running to the stores to buy as many soy products as possible. And even though soy sauce is a classic addition to almost every single Chinese meal, you should think again before you buy your next bottle of this delicious but not so healthy sauce. Soy sauce doesn’t have too man calories, but it is packed with sodium. An excessive sodium intake is often linked to developing hypertension and it causes water retention.
4. Foods with artificial sweeteners can be very detrimental to your health. Even though artificial sweeteners don’t contain calories, they mess up the body’s ability to decide whether your stomach is full, which of course leads to overeating and very strong cravings. Also, people who consume a lot of foods with artificial sweeteners are two times more likely to suffer from impaired kidney function.
5. Speaking of artificial ingredients, sugary breakfast cereals are another type of foods you should seriously stay away from. Sure, this cereal is the most convenient way to start your day, but these cereals are literally packed with sugar. Although many of them claim they are source of essential vitamins and minerals, these amounts of sugar are detrimental to your health and your weight.
6. Gluten free food sounds like one of the health crazes, but let us explain what is it really all about. Celiac disease is a condition that affects the immune system. When a person with this disease eats food with gluten, the immune system identifies gluten as an invader and it attacks the gluten proteins in digestive tract. These attacks result in damages in the tract lining and they cause severe pain and bloating. Even though only about one percent of the world’s population suffers from celiac disease, some people experience similar symptoms that can indicate a gluten intolerance.
7. Canned vegetables are great for certain recipes, but if you want to eat veggies on daily basis, you should choose fresh or frozen products instead. The biggest problem with canned vegetables are not vegetables- it’s the can. The cans are treated with BPA or bisphenol A, which is an industrial chemical widely used in the manufacture of resins. BPA is often linked to neurological disorders, reproductive problems, heart disease as well as breast and prostate cancer.
8. If you love burgers (and who doesn’t?), you probably can’t imagine your life without mayo, ketchup and ranch. These condiments make a significant difference when it comes to taste we all love so much, but the truth is, even in small amounts, these condiments are detrimental. Mayonnaise and ranch are very high in saturated fats, and to make things even worse, these fats come from soybean oil that is typically made from genetically modified soybeans.
9. Sprouts themselves are real health bombs. Whether they come from broccoli, bean, alfalfa or radish, they contain a lot of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and protein. However, the dangerous growing conditions make sprouts one of the biggest sources of food borne illness outbreaks. Sprouts actually require warm and moist conditions for growth, however, in the past 20 years, contaminated sprouts were responsible for one of the world’s largest E. coli outbreaks in Japan.
10. Genetically modified corn has been banned in over 25 countries with the rest of the genetically modified organisms (or GMOs), so there must be a good reason for it. GMO plants and especially corn are made to produce their own pesticides inside the plant and to survive chemical application. The excessive use of chemicals is linked to growing disappearance of bees and decline of the monarch butterfly, which is harmful for the balance in nature.
11. Popcorn is always a great snack and microwave popcorn makes it even more convenient: it’s low in calories and it’s easy to make. But, it is also one of the worst foods on this list! The biggest problem with microwave popcorn is the bag- it is filled with chemicals and additives. Perfluorooctinoic or PFOA is the worst chemical in popcorn bag and it is used to keep the oils from leaking through.
12. You probably know that white bread is one of those foods that you should never eat. But we’re are all so used to eating it, we almost forget about it and that is very dangerous. White bread has no nutritional value- it’s made from refined flour. Also, white bread can contain up to 25 added chemicals, including bleaching agents, which mans that you should stay away from it as much as you can.
13. Stick margarine may be convenient for baking because it is easy to measure and cut, but you should really forget about it forever. Stick margarine is actually made with hydrogenated vegetable oil which is extremely high in trans fats. This means that stick margarine contains bad fats that increase bad cholesterol, which may result in inflammation throughout the body and an increased risk of heart disease and stroke.
14. Protein bars may be the easiest option when you’re hungry and in a hurry but the assumption that these foods are healthy is completely untrue. Protein is an essential nutrient for human body and especially for repairing muscle tissue, but you would be surprised to hear that many protein bars don’t actually have so much protein. On the other hand, they are packed with fat, sugar and sodium.
15. Is there a better way to start your day than with a glass of fruit juice? Unfortunately, the fruit juices we buy in the store don’t have whole fruit. Fruit juices you can buy in supermarkets are made of water flavored with sugar and colored with chemicals. The most of these fruit juices contain only 10 percent real fruit juice and they raise your blood sugar level which may result in heart disease.