15 Fruits And Veggies With The Most Pesticides
Environmental Working Group releases each year an annual list of foods with the most pesticides. This means that you should always try to buy these foods organic, because it’s pretty hard to get rid of those nasty pesticides in them. Environmental Working Group analyzes data from Department of Agriculture each year in order to rank foods based on how much pesticide residue they actually have. According to some data, people who switch to organic when buying these 15 foods can reduce intake of pesticides by whopping 80%! And if you’re still not sure about how detrimental to human health pesticides can be, let us just tell you this: they have been linked to some developmental problems in children, but also, they may act as carcinogens.
1. Apples are constantly at the top of the list of fruits and veggies with the most pesticides on them. This is quite a big and shocking problem, considering how many people eat apples. According to researches, there have been detected more that 45 different pesticides on apples. The reason for this is because farmers spray various chemicals on them in order to save them from fungus and insect threats. An apple a day keep the bug away, apparently.
2. Strawberries are also quite often on this list. They kind of belong to it because most farmers spray them against fungus, and pesticide residue remains on all berries we can buy at the market. There are more than 40 different pesticides found on strawberries. However, fewer pesticides are found on frozen strawberries. If you are searching for safe alternatives to strawberries, try eating pineapples and kiwi.
3. We have to disappoint all grapes lover out there. The truth is, grapes keep a lot pesticides on them. However, in one of those annual reports, it has been stated that imported grapes can have more than 50 different pesticides on them. Farmers spray them a lot because they are afraid that all kinds of insects will attack them. Raisins also have high pesticide residue tests, which doesn’t surprise us much.
4. Another veggie we all love to use in our kitchen (and Bloody Mary) is celery. According to the tests USDA has conducted, there are more than 60 different pesticides on celery. It’s quite a shame that such a healthy vegetable as celery has so many different toxins in it. That is, of course, if you don’t decide to buy organic. And if you can’t find organic, you can buy broccoli, onions and radishes.
5. Can you imagine summer without sweet peaches? Hardly! However, if you are not buying organic peaches, you are risking intake of a bunch of pesticides. To be more precise, according to different studies, there are more than 60 different pesticides found on peaches. If you can’t find organic peaches where you live, try eating safe alternatives such as watermelons, oranges, grapefruit and tangerines.
6. You have been hearing your whole life how healthy spinach is. Let’s be hones, if Popeye is eating it on regular basis, it can’t be bad, right? Unfortunately, spinach is one of the leading leafy green veggies with the most pesticides. According to the researches, spinach contains more than 50 different pesticides. Frozen spinach has also a lot pesticides in it and canned has fewer detected pesticides.
7. Sweet Bell Peppers are another type of veggies that usually have their spot on the list of foods with the most pesticides. Sweet bell peppers have one of the highest pesticide residue in the pepper family. Researches have shown that there are more than 50 different pesticides found on sweet bell peppers. However, if you can’t imagine a season without them, try to find organic farmers who will sell you “clean” peppers.
8. Oh, sweet nectarines. You can eat them alone, in salads, in all situations. However, imported nectarines are among the most highly contaminated tree fruits. More than 33 different kinds of pesticides have been detected on nectarines. Domestic nectarines, on the other hand, don’t test with as much pesticide residue. If you can’t find organic nectarines, try eating mango, papaya or pineapples!
9. Cherry tomatoes are one of the cutest foods ever. You can cook them, bake them or eat them raw. However, keep in mind that there is no real substitute for a fresh, ripe tomato. Try to grow your own cherry tomatoes. They don’t take too much space and they are not hard to grow. If you can’t grow them by yourself, try to find them at organic farms markets or in the organic sections at your local groceries.
10. It has been said that potatoes are America’s favorite vegetable. We love to eat it in cooked meals, we love to bake the, we love them mashed, you name it. Unfortunately, this popular veggies is one of the most “toxic” vegetables today. According to USDA testing, more than 30 pesticides have been found on potatoes. Sweet potatoes, on the other hand, have less chance of pesticide residue.
11. If you’re a fan of spicy food, it must be pretty hard for you to imagine your favorite meal without hot peppers. But we bet you haven’t even though about the pesticides your favorite, hot veggies have. The truth is, hot peppers have a lot of pesticides. Farmers spray them a lot for the same reasons they do with other fruits and vegetables: they are scared they will lose their products. Try to find organic peppers.
12. Not so many people love kale. However, doctors and nutritionist always say how healthy kale is, so you do your best and eat it once a week. What they don’t tell you is that, even though kale rarely suffers from pests and diseases, it has high amounts of pesticides on it. But that’s not a reason to give up on it! You can find organic kale at almost every organic farms market, so don’t let this be your excuse.
13. Collard greens are incredibly healthy. But have you noticed that many leafy greens have plenty pesticides on them? Unfortunately, collard greens are one of them. It has been detected that collard greens have more than 45 different types of pesticides on them! If you can’t find organic ones, try alternatives such as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, or even dandelion greens which contain less pesticides.
14. Lettuce is another leafy green veggie with many health benefits. Besides, you can hardly imagine any summer salad (or generally, any kind of salad) without lettuce. However, lettuce joins kale and spinach on this list because it has many pesticides on it. It has been discovered that more than 50 different pesticides are on it! The best thing to do is to find organic lettuce and enjoy in your favorite veggie without fear.
15. We have already mentioned that berries often contain pesticides. Unfortunately, blueberries usually make this list because tests find more than 50 different pesticides residue on them. On the other hand, frozen blueberries show lower levels of pesticides, but they are still pretty contaminated. Alternatives such as cranberries and cherries are not a great option either, since they contain pesticide residues as well.