15 Healthy Food that Turned Out To Be Unhealthy
Just like fashion and other popular industries, food industry has its own trends it needs to follow and create in order to sell more items. That’s why you can compare popular “healthy” food trends throughout the history. At one point people ate tofu, raw foods, muesli, diet products… They basically did everything to stay healthy and in shape. However, as those trends have changed, we learned that some of those foods aren’t actually that healthy. Some of them were even so dangerous that in some cases they could lead to health problems. That’s why we made a list of 15 healthy foods that aren’t actually that healthy.
1. Banana chips were promoted as a perfect substitute for sweets. Why eat 300 grams of chocolate, when you can enjoy a healthy banana snack. Banana is healthy after all, right? The thing is, banana chips are made by deep frying bananas. Just one serving of banana chips contains about 10 grams of saturated fat, which has an awful impact on our cholesterol levels. Take a fresh banana instead, and you will be very satisfied!
2. Tuna sushi is one of the best examples that healthy food can be dangerous if you eat it in large doses. Even though tuna sushi is raw and therefore contains not many calories, you need to know that sushi served in restaurants contains more mercury than raw fish you buy in stores. If you eat too much mercury, you can end up intoxicated by this substance. Consequences? Sleeplessness, vomiting, hair loss, high blood pressure… the list goes on.
3. Muesli has become a synonym for healthy breakfast. Many people have given up eggs and bacon in order to eat something very healthy at the beginning of the day. However, there is a big lie hidden in every muesli bag you can buy in stores. Muesli provide about 500 calories per serving and unexplainable amounts of sugar. So if you really want to eat muesli, we suggest you buy some oats, dried fruit, sunflower seeds, and enjoy a really healthy breakfast, not the prepackaged stuff.
4. Energy bars are often placed in food aisles reserved for healthy foods and foods that help weight loss. However, energy bars are not for weight loss. Not only they are not healthy, but they can even be worse than most candy bars. The reason for this is because they basically encourage the body to store fat and calories in your body. One energy bar contains about 500 calories, which is the same amount of calories a lunch or dinner should have. Keep that in mind next time you reach for an energy bar.
5. When people want to lose weight, they often search for products which contain less fat, which is normal. That’s why they choose low fat yogurt and believe they did something good for their bodies. This is absolutely not true. When you significantly reduce fat in a product, that product becomes pretty tasteless. In order to compensate, yogurt manufacturers add sugars and make a low fat yogurt- filled with sugar!
6. If your body is rejecting gluten because of a disease, then eating gluten-free products is something you have to do, in order to stay alive. However, the rest of the people who have no problem with gluten kind of waste their money on gluten-free products. Gluten-free products are highly refined and they often don’t contain whole grain. Because of this, gluten-free foods are lower in fiber and antioxidant compounds. So if you don’t actually need gluten-free foods, don’t buy it!
7. Sports drinks are not healthy, folks. But really, anything with these color dyes couldn’t be healthy, not on this planet. People usually say they are healthy because they are better than soda. Well, that doesn’t make them good, considering sodas are pure evil made of nothing but sugar and chemicals. Besides sugar, sports drinks contain many dyes and preservatives because of which they have been banned in Europe and Japan.
8. Whole grains are healthy for us because they contain fibers and B vitamin. However, be careful of “multigrain” and “wheat” products you see in stores, because manufacturers use them for products which don’t actually contain whole grains. The whole difference between a whole and refined grain is: whole grains contain all parts of the kernel. Refined grains have finer texture, they last longer but they also have less qualities for our health.
9. When you make a smoothie at home, you are doing the right thing. There is hardly anything better for your body than natural juices of fruits and vegetables, all mixed together. At home, you are the chief of your smoothie- you add what you want to do. However, most of us don’t have time for making smoothies, or we just forget about them. That is, until we see store selling smoothies. Be careful though, those smoothies might have more sugar than you think.
10. Remember popcorn diets? They were very popular and no wonder, really- everybody loves popcorn! However, microwave popcorn is not the best solution for anyone. Microwave popcorn contains a substance called diacetyl, which is added to almost all artificial butters. It is tasty but unfortunately, also very dangerous. Diacetyl is safe when you eat it, but it is dangerous when you inhale it. So when you heat a bag of popcorn, diacetyl is easily inhaled.
11. Frozen dinners are often the best solution for people who have no time or money to cook every day. There is one thing you need to know about them- frozen dinners are not healthy. They are actually high in salt! Processed food is not tasty at all. In order to make it tasty, manufacturers add salt, sugar and fat. Frozen dinners are high in salt but short on nutrients and they almost never include whole grains.
12. You can often spot people eating muffins. They all think muffins are better than a candy bar or a donut. You should have in mind that muffins contains about 400 calories. Some go up to 800! However, if you really like muffins, try choosing those which contain fewer ingredient. The fewer ingredients it has, the less space there is for hidden sugars, fats and calories.
13. Granola is a term used or a healthy meal people usually eat for their breakfast. Like many “healthy” hypes, granola hype is mostly about good marketing. The truth is, many granola-based products are full of sugar. Some of them have more sugar than fibers, which makes all granola story totally useless. Also, have in mind that a bowl of granola contains up to 600 calories. If you really like granola, try to choose those with more fiber and less sugar.
14. Nuts contain many nutrients which improve our health and help people fight weight gain. When turned into butter, these properties are, unfortunately, completely lost. Through processing, nut butters lose their natural fats and gain some less healthy fats. They also get more salt and sugar but also, preservatives and coloring substances. If you really must use nut butter, use almond butter instead.
15. Dried fruits are great- when you dry them at home. If you do that, dried fruits still contain all vitamins, fiber and minerals. However, when you buy them in store, you are buying a bunch of sugar. In order to make dried fruit taste better, manufacturers add sucrose or table sugar. Also, they add sulfur to prevent browning of the fruits. These additives and sugars can be dangerous to our health, and they definitely don’t help us lose weight.