15 Reason to Practice Meditation
Meditation is a Buddhist method which is consisted of sitting quietly and paying attention to your own inspiration and mindfulness. The goal is to keep your thoughts from wandering off to some never, never land but instead, you should try focusing on your breathing. Many people think they cannot just sit still enough to do this. It’s kind of sad when you think how hard it is to find that peaceful part of the day when you can just breathe in and out. However, keep in mind that meditation is a practice, and don’t pressure yourself to achieve Nirvana the first few times you sit on the floor. Just try to find that peace of mind we are all searching for, because it will bring you many benefits.
1. There are some studies that claim that meditation can have a positive impact on brain and immune system. According to these studies, by practicing meditation for a short period of time, brain and immune functions are being demonstrable affected. This means that mindfulness meditation can change brain and immune function in a positive way, and therefore it shows its benefits for the general human health system.
2. It is a fact that meditation has positive influence on the physical pain we might be experiencing. Some of these benefits can be realized after only four days of training, which also suggests that meditation may have a successful role in future clinical settings. Some studies have shown that there is a positive relationship between meditation and pain relief. Meditation likely alters pain by strengthening cognitive control.
3. There are some claims that meditation has a positive impact on reducing anxiety as well. Just the fact that we sat down for a minute and stopped thinking about our worse fears ever is definitely good for us. Of course, there are severe cases of anxiety in which meditation by itself cannot help. By practicing meditation we are letting go of panic, anxiety and even panic disorder with agoraphobia.
4. Together with influencing our experiences of pain, meditation can alter our way of thinking from pessimist to someone who actually sees something good in every bad situation. We don’t say you’ll automatically become super happy if you generally tend to explain all the bad things first, but some studies have actually shown that after some time, people who practice meditation have more positive views on life.
5. Meditation is popular guys! Did you know that 30 million Americans have tried meditation or they practice meditation regularly? This might sound a bit shallow, but this is a great way to spend your precious free time. You can practice it alone or in groups, and if Oprah and NFL players can do it, you might just think about if those TV shows you planned to watched over the weekend are really the best way to spend your time.
6. Did you know that meditation can actually boost your social life? Also, did you know that it is not true that meditation requires loneliness. Sometimes you might even feel the need to meditate with someone else. Even some research claims that meditation increases social connection between the people. It is also very beneficial when it comes to reducing loneliness- people who practice meditation tend to feel less lonely than ones who don’t practice it.
7. Meditation won’t make your brain bigger, we won’t try to convince you in that, but it will help you resolve some issues quicker than before. According to some researches, meditation increases cortical thickness, especially in zones connected to introspection and attention. Also, meditation increases gray matter in areas related to memory and thinking (hippo-campus and frontal zones). Finally, people who practice meditation experience more positive emotions and self-control.
8. Besides the fact that meditation makes you better with other people, it also makes you better with yourself. Researches have shown that meditation boosts social connection, and we feel better after successful social connections, right? Meditation also improves empathy and compassion, which makes us more reliable in contact with other people. People who practice meditation are generally more helpful and they show better resilience in hard times.
9. What would you think if we told you that meditation increases wisdom? If you ever felt like losing the sight of big picture and feeling trapped in everyday obligations, then you should definitely try out meditation. Many people feel a bit overwhelmed from time to time, and they feel like they have a little too much on their plate. Practicing meditation can help you find the solution to those problems, because it calms your mind and helps you think more clearly.
10. The more you practice meditation, the better you will feel! Researchers have found that meditation decreases depression and stress. Generally, people who practice meditation tend to have a more optimistic way of thinking, because they realize how small everyday obstacles actually are. When you find the peace in yourself, every other external factor can be managed or changed so you don’t have to deal with stress or anxiety. Meditation is all about open-mindedness and balancing your manner of thinking.
11. Self-Love: unfortunately we can be our own worst enemies. Meditation teaches you to become a silent observer behind your thoughts, a way to eliminate the thoughts that cause self-harm and awaken positive self-talk. You are attracted to your thoughts, meditation allows you to observe yourself without any judgement. Meditation can open up your inner-self to more love and admiration.
12. Meditation is also said to help with balancing the nervous system. A 1974 study conducted at Harvard Medical School, reported that borderline hypertension could be treated with meditation, aka regulate your blood pressure. The study and others suggest that by adopting the practice most people under the age of 40 could expect to fall below the limit of 130.90 of hyper tension. Imagine how simple it could be to lower your blood pressure by just sitting quietly by yourself each day.
13. Listen up ladies, if you suffer from PMS or fertility issues, meditation could help. There has been studies that show up to 58% of PMS symptoms lessened when women meditate regularly. Women who are suffering from hot flashes also experienced less intense flashes when they meditated regularly. Clearing the mind also awakens more mindful power, aka if you want to lessen your PMS during meditation just ask your mind to do it.
14. Meditation is also known for increasing productivity. We all have those days, where no matter how much we try we can’t seem to get anything done. Most people who meditate find that they can focus better and get more done in a shorter amount of time. Even if your are having a moment of frazzled chaos, try meditating for a quick 15 minutes. After you have cleared your mind you can restart the task at hand. Clearing your mind will help you finish things quicker and focus your mind.
15. This one is for your grandparents or aging parents, meditation is a known way to keep the elderly from feeling lonely. Loneliness can increase a number of health conditions which span from depression. The University of California, Los Angeles, found that mindfulness meditation can help decrease these feelings of loneliness amongst the elderly and boost their health by reducing the expression of genes linked to inflammation.