15 Things The Scale Doesn’t Say, But Should
So you woke up this morning, made a protein breakfast (even though you felt like eating a pizza) and you tried to walk as much as possible. Then, you climbed those stairs, got to work all sweaty and ate another protein meal (even though you felt like eating a pizza). After a week of basically doing things you really don’t like, you certainly thought that you lost at least three pounds. You took the scale ceremonially, placed it in the center of the bathroom, and you stepped on your throne. Gosh, you already feel like a winner, and who knows, maybe it was four pounds (those steps were really big). WHAT!? You lost only one pound? The scale is obviously not telling the truth! Here are the things that your scale should tell you instead.
1.”Thank you for not eating pizza”. Surely, this is the first thing that every scale should tell you. Pizza is also a symbol for all that wonderful junk food out there you have been avoiding because you want to lose weight. That’s also why you go hungry when you go to bed each night and you refuse to go out for a drink (some drinks have the same amount of calories as pizza!). So a little thank you from your scale would be nice from time to time.
2. “You rock that outfit!” Well thank you scale! It’s true, we all want to lose weight so we can look better. Of course, we should be thinking about our health as well, but the truth is- we just want to be admired for how good we look in those tight clothes. So instead of telling us that we lost almost no weight at all and therefore, no change will be noticed, the scale should tell us how good we look in the clothes we already picked.
3. “I wish people love me as much as they love you!” Oh stop it, you. Scales have to understand that being loved is very important for every human being. But sometimes human beings feel like total failures. In these moments, it seems like nothing is right and those numbers on the scale are not helping at all. That’s why a little scale support is very much needed to help us beat the sadness and move on! Less numbers and more loving!
4. “Where did you learn to climb those stairs like that!?” Sure, we all know how to climb stairs. But let us ask you a question- do we all climb the stairs or do some of us choose to do so because we want to lose weight? Yeah, that’s what we thought. That’s also why we need some recognition and admiration! Nobody thanks you for taking the stairs nowadays, and we really think that the scale should be the first one to do it.
5. “You walked a billion steps today!” Scales should really talk more about the effort we are investing in our exercising. How many times have you said no to a ride home because you know how important it is to walk a lot? And your feet hurt so much that day! But you were so proud of yourself. That is, until you got home and stepped on the scale. And what did scale say? Nothing supportive anyway! But if that scale knew how much your feet hurt…
6. “Don’t be so hard on yourself.” The biggest problem with losing weight is that it makes you so vulnerable. The reason for this is because you are literally too obsessed with your own body, and every little mistake you make or disappointment you experience feels more dramatic than it actually is. However, it would be nice if your scale could tell you this, because sometimes you are on the verge of nervous breakdown, and that’s when you decide to take the scale out…
7. “You look so hot!” It’s not all about how you look in your clothes. Let’s be honest, how many times did you stand on your scale naked because you don’t want your shirt and pants to add some extra weight. But also, you know best how you look without all those clothes that cover the imperfections (that we all have btw!). So it would be nice not to be ashamed by numbers and to be praised for who you really are for a change.
8. “You have a great sense of humor!” Well, thank you scale, you’re not so bad either. Our weight is not the most important thing about us. And even though we all secretly want to look like Hollywood stars, the truth is that some of us will never look so perfect. It’s not because we can’t do it, it’s more about many small factors that influence our looks. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t have fun, right? And you know what they say about laughter!
9. “You will be just fine.” You know how sometimes it seems like everything is against you? It’s like the whole universe hates you for some reason, and you just can’t figure out why. That’s okay, it happens to all of us. But wouldn’t it be great if your scale would tell you that everything is going to be okay, instead of hating you even more with those horrible numbers? You have to pick your side, scale! It’s either the universe or us.
10. “Your parents are so proud of you.” We all need to be acknowledged. There is something in human nature that makes us feel better when we are good to other human beings, especially when it comes to your family. But as the time passes, we are not always sure if we did everything right. And once again, our most vulnerable moments include standing on a scale, so a little acknowledgement from time to time would be really nice.
11. “You are fabulous, baby!” Sometimes you will just accept that ride home or you will use the elevator. Bad days happen to all of us, and there is no shame in that. However, the real problem appears once the bad day is ended and it’s time to stand on the scale again. You will feel so guilty about the soda you drank or the chocolate you just had to eat the day before. This is the perfect moment for scale to say that “everything is okay”.
12. “You eat so many fruits and veggies, you will eventually become one.” Omg, well thank you scale so much for noticing! Honesty time: it’s not easy to eat so many fruits and vegetables, especially when you are not used to. Super honesty time: a banana will never be chocolate cake. It’s true! But after a week of eating tons of vitamins and fiber, you just need someone to come to you and tell you that you did a good work! We think that scale would definitely do it best.
13. “Wow, you’re a really good cook!” As you already know, the best thing you can do for yourself and your health is to cook your own meals. This is the only way to know exactly how many calories a dish has and whether the ingredients are healthy. However, this is very difficult for those who don’t really enjoy cooking or just don’t have enough time. If only your scale would tell you a few good words about your cuisine, it would mean you a lot!
14. “You drank so much water today!” Drinking water and staying hydrated is essential for losing weight. But sometimes, we all just forget to drink fluids unless we are really thirsty. That’s why people who try to lose weight drink A LOT of water. And unless someone notices how many times you’ve hit the bathroom, your effort is rarely appreciated. Your scale could therefore appreciate your amazing ability to drink gallons of water.
15. “Your health has really improved!” At the end of the day, the most important part of losing weight is improving your health. We should all think about this first, even before our looks. When you start regulating your diet and losing weight slowly, you will also feel better. And in case you have high blood pressure or cholesterol, you will most definitely notice improvements in those fields as well. However, if only your scale would notice improvements regarding your health, that would be amazing!