15 Ways To Lose Belly Fat For Good
Belly fat is the worst. It’s the first sign that you gained some weight, but also- it is a sign that you should take care of your health. Belly fat can be accumulated because you eat more or you drink more alcohol, but have in mind that belly fat generally tells us that we should exercise more, drink more water etc. When belly fat nestles deep among our organs, it actually warns us about some serious health troubles. This type of fat activates stress hormones such as cortisol and other inflammatory substances called cytokines that affect the body’s production of insulin. So the worts part is not that we don’t look attractive, it’s the damage to our health that should make us all concerned.
1. Belly fat is not immune to aerobic exercises! Also, belly fat hates running, biking and swimming, which means that you should love these activities even more! Anything that gets your heart rate up is good for getting rid of the belly fat. According to some studies, jogging 12 miles a week will do the trick. The results show that by running this much per week actually makes a great progress and that stubborn belly fat begins to melt.
2. Everyone knows that protein is crucial for losing weight. However, in case you didn’t know the reason, here it is: our bodies produce more insulin as we age and insulin promotes fat storage, especially around the belly. A diet packed with protein may protect you against this insulin resistance! According to a research, an ideal diet is consisted of 30% protein, 40% carbs and 30% fat. Obese women who followed this diet lost significantly more fat than women who followed diets with less protein.
3. Did you know that saturated fats actually pack on more belly fat than polyunsaturated fats? A Swedish study conducted a study with subjects who ate 750 more calories daily for seven weeks. These calories were either in the form of saturated fats such as palm oil or in the form of polyunsaturated fats such as sunflower oil. People who ate the former gained more belly fat and the latter gained more muscle mass and less body fat!
4. Another study found that obese people who consumed one tablespoon or even two of vinegar for eight weeks showed decreases in body fat- especially belly fat! According to this study, the acetic acid in the vinegar produces proteins that burn up fat in our bodies. Vinegar is very useful when it comes to personal care as well, so it is recommended to have one bottle of vinegar in your kitchen that you can use for various purposes, and not just for losing belly fat.
5. According to a 2012 study, postmenopausal women who tried yoga for 16 weeks experienced significant reductions in belly fat! Now, you might be one of those people who think that yoga is just a trend or you might even think that it is boring, but have in mind that you can just try some other sort of relaxation exercise instead. Simple deep breathing or a pleasant walk in the park can also do the trick, because they reduce the levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which is often linked to belly fat.
6. You have to sleep! If you sleep five hours or less per night, you are actually increasing belly fat levels! So make an effort to sleep at least 8 hours per night. Sure, sometimes you will go out for drinks or you’ll just have trouble with falling asleep, but generally, try to sleep 8 hours because a good night sleep is very important for our general health. As you know, when you don’t sleep enough, your body reacts with stress hormones.
7. However, have in mind that your internal clock should not be chaotic. This means that you should try to wake up and go to bed at the similar time. It may sound hard, but if you plan your day right, you will see that it is really possible! According to a recent study, women who wake up and go to bed at the same time each evening have less body fat. Chaotic sleeping schedule has a bad impact on your internal clock, which triggers the stress hormones.
8. People who drink green tea regularly swear by the antioxidants called catechins. These antioxidants are very helpful when it comes to losing abdominal fat while exercising, and that’s why many moderate exercises love to drink green tea. The recommended daily dose of catechins is about 625 mg, which is the equivalent of two or three eight-ounce cups of green tea per day. So start exercising and bring some green tea with you!
9. Make sure you are eating a lot of fiber! According to a study, subjects who eat more soluble fiber reduced belly fat by 3.7% after five years! And if five years sound like a lot to you, you can speed things up by being more active and by following a diet that is rich in fiber! This means more apples, more green peas, more beans, and generally: more fruits and vegetables. Fresh, unprocessed foods are best for getting rid of belly fat!
10. Stay away from the sugar-sweetened beverages! Many studies show that drinks that contain a lot of sugar have harmful effects on our health. When you eat a lot of refined sugar, your liver gets flooded with fructose. That fructose is then turned into fat. According to some researches, too much sugar leads to increased accumulation of fat in the belly. Also, excess sugar leads to insulin resistance, which has a lot of negative impact on our general health.
11. Cut the carbs! In case you didn’t know, carb reduction is one of the best ways to lose fat. In some cases, low-carb diets led to 2-3 times more weight loss than low-fat diets! Also, low-carb diets have an influence on reducing water weight, which gives the instant result we all love to see. So reduce the white bread and pasta intake and eat some vegetables instead. Your stomach will not be bloated anymore, and belly fat will start melting soon.
12. Track your food. It is very important to know what you eat, especially when you are trying to lose weight. If you truly want to optimize your diet and follow a high-protein or a low-carb diet, it is essential to track your foods. So in case you want to eat more protein, you will have to measure your foods and find the perfect quantity that will lead to your goals. And don’t look at this like something you will have to do for the rest of your life- look at it like a control check from time to time.
13. Eat your breakfast! Many studies showed that eating breakfast within an hour of waking up keeps your insulin levels normal. Also, try to eat breakfast at the same time each day. Have in mind that your breakfast should include protein and fiber foods such as eggs, vegetables and fresh fruit. Avoid sugary cereals and other foods packed with sugar. If you want to eat something light, choose oats instead of an instant oatmeal.
14. Walk. Aim for 10,000 steps per day. According to a study, men who reduced their daily walking from 10,000 steps to less than 1,500 increased their belly fat by 7% percent after just two weeks! Woow! So get a pedometer and try to increase the number of daily steps you take. Every time you see an elevator, choose stairs instead. Also, stand up and walk 30 steps every 30 minutes. It may sound complicated at first but you just have to start doing this and you will see that it’s actually possible.
15. Drink a lot of water! Drinking water throughout the day leads to a more active metabolism, no matter what diet you are following. Also, drinking water helps your body get rid of the toxins and therefore, it improves your general health. It is recommended to drink a 8-oz glass of water 8 times a day. Be sure to carry a watter bottle so you can drink it whenever you feel thirsty. Reduce alcohol and carbonated beverages and always stay hydrated!