Kim Kardashian’s Style Evolution: Party Girl To Fashion Week
Kim Kardashian hasn’t always been a household name. However, she has always been a pretty girl who was in love with fashion. She also always knew she was going to be popular; at her eighth grade graduation, Kim was filmed dancing in a white blouse and a short bob haircut, saying: “When I’m famous and old, you are going to remember me as this beautiful girl!” As a teenager, Kim was so impressed by the movie “Clueless,” mainly because she loved the clothes worn by the movie’s lead character, Cher Horovitz (played by Alicia Silverstone). Kim even admitted that she had about 10 outfits Cher had, so we believe that this was the moment Kim realized she was in love with fashion. Mrs. Kardashian West went through many different phases in her life, so we did our very best to sum the 15 most important moments in Kim’s style evolution, from party girl to Vogue.
1. As you can see, Kim was into a girly and glamorous look before. You can’t blame her bad taste for everything though, because the early 2000’s were particularly tragic for fashion. So many glitzy accessories, fur trims, silky clothes and uncoordinated nudity were trendy at the time. That being said, we kind of understand why Kim chose this outfit for Dom Perignon Rose Vintage Champagne party in 2006. At the same time, we don’t understand why she chose this outfit for anything else but her bed.
2. Oh, boy. Well, unlike the previous outfit that we didn’t want to blame Kim for, this one was a complete disaster. This photo was taken in 2006 as well, but we can’t believe that absolutely every item on Kim is wrong! Naturally, we have to start with the boots- if Anna Wintout saw them, she would immediately go blind. The tunic, on the other hand is not so bad, but this belt makes it look really horrible. Kim was supporting Jay Z’s Kingdom Come releasing party here, and we wonder if Kanye was there….
3. Just like her baby sister Kendall Jenner, Kim also rocked the catwalk once. As you can see, back in 2007, Kim was all about colors. Back then, Kim was another reality star who was trying to make it in Hollywood. So before Balmain, Givenchy, Lanvin and Cavalli, there was Ed Hardy and Christian Audigier’s Fall 2007 show during LA Fashion Week. Also, you can see that Kim’s face changed quite a bit over the years. One of the biggest changes is the amount of fake tan that Kim, luckily, stopped spraying on her skin.
4. It’s 2007, baby! Kim wore this weird and colorful combination to a Los Angeles party back in 2007, and we couldn’t help but wonder whether Cher Hotovitz would wear this too? This bohemian inspired look with a matching brown bag and brown heels would not be so awful if she wasn’t wearing the belt. But Kim had to wear the belt. We almost forgot to mention the tights! The tights were an important part of this era, so we’ll try not to comment on them any further. They are, however, extremely horrible.
5. Unfortunately, not everything can be blamed on the trends. By the 2008, Kim was scrutinized for her style almost everywhere she went. It’s important to have in mind that before 2010, Kim was insisting on a more vulgar and sexy looks that didn’t suit her so well. Back then, Kim was all about drawing attention, and she didn’t really choose the best ways to do it. We are absolutely sure that Kim would never appear on “Dancing With The Stars” again, because fashionable stars don’t do shows like this.
6. In 2008, Kim Kardashian was already famous as the star of the reality show “Keeping Up With The Kardashians”. If you watched at least one episode of the show, you know how close the Kardashians are. In this photo, Kim was walking in the streets of Monaco with her sister Kourtney. It’s been said that back then, the girls would spend hours with the professional team each day in order to make sure that they had their hairs, makeup and clothes right. Obviously, Kim still insisted on showing off designer clothes that didn’t suit her that well!
7. We have to go back to 2006 for a second and remind you of another person who influenced Kim Kardashian’s style. Naturally, we are talking about Paris Hilton. Kim and Paris were BFFs ever since they were kids, and when they grew up, Kim was Paris’ assistant on “The Simple Life”. Back then, Paris was as popular as Kim is today, and before the tables turned, Kim and Paris were party girls who dressed up as party girls- Kim’s style was completely influenced by Paris Hilton’s current style.
8. The 2000s were a confusing sometime. Wearing gigantic expensive bags to the beach was considered normal and trendy, so naturally, Kim and Paris did it! At some point, and this was happening between 2006 and 2009, Kim and Paris were wearing matching clothes. Nobody really knew why, but we guess that’s what BFFs do. Sometimes Paris would carry the golden bag, and sometimes Kim would deserve the right to carry it. We believe this was the darkest hour of Kim’s style.
9. However, everything changed after 2009. As Kim was becoming more and more popular, Paris couldn’t stand that she was no longer the center of attention. The famous hotel heiress even said that she wouldn’t want Kim’s butt, calling it “gross” and adding: “It reminds me of cottage cheese inside a big trash bag.” In 2009, both divas sat in the front row of the Tracy Reese Fall fashion show, and they didn’t speak to each other. This was the turning point for Kim’s style as well- things were changing, and they were changing fast.
10. Speaking of changes, in 2010, Kim’s style was significantly improved. She even did a photo shoot with Justin Bieber on Paradise Island for Elle US, and nobody knew why, but she looked so much better. Something about her face changed. Her look was just more mature, even though she was sexy as always, but seeing her body covered in see through black clothes made Kim look so chic. It was obvious that a completely new era started for Kim, and her style was never going to be the same.
11. In 2011, Kim looked pretty great! She obviously discovered that you don’t have to be naked all the time in order to look sexy. Kim showed certain maturity as well as she was preparing her wedding with her professional basketball player boyfriend Kris Humphries. The ex lovers were frequently seen shopping together, and one of Kim’s favorite shopping spots was at Alexander McQueen. Unfortunately, what they both didn’t know back then was that their marriage was going to last only 72 days.
12. Forget Paris Hilton and Kris Humphries- Kanye West changed Kim forever. Kim and Kanye started dating in 2012, and for the first time, Kim looked casually elegant. The keyword is “casually,” because even though she still spent hours on makeup and hair, she didn’t look like that. Kim once said that she is grateful that Kanye changed her (and her closet), and she said she was mortified when she sees her past photos. Well, she isn’t the only one! But seriously though, this was the time when Kim’s journey to becoming a fashion star began.
13. In 2013, Kim and Kanye attended Met Ball together. At the time, Kim was expecting their first child, and the couple was visibly excited about it. However, this was the first time Kim experimented so much, and at first, people said they didn’t like it. The Internet went crazy over the custom Givenchy gown by Riccardo Tisci and everyone compared her to a piece of furniture. Kim recently said that she still thinks that gown was beautiful, and she doesn’t care about what people say.
14. When a celebrity starts setting new trends, that’s the moment when we know that they reached a new level of being famous. That’s exactly what happened to Kim- she married a rap star, changed her image completely and became a very important figure in fashion industry. Kim and Kanye are now setting new trends, and as you can see, Kim is Kanye’s best model. In this photo, Kim is wearing Yeezy collection from head to toe, and she looks absolutely fantastic! Flesh colored dresses are also a very big hit this season, all thanks to Kim.
15. The final and the ultimate proof that Kim Kardashian has conquered the world of fashion is that she became a muse of a fashion designer. Naturally, we are talking about Balmain’s creative director Olivier Rousteing. Kim (and Kanye) brought the way people see Balmain to a completely new level; the fashion line has its own army of modern and sexy women, such as Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid and obviously, this wouldn’t be possible without Kim. Finally, Kim should be an inspiration to all of us- if you are persistent and hardworking enough, you can reach the top.