No Way They’re 70+: Ageless Stars
People (and especially women) are taught to believe that beauty can only be related to youth. We are used to seeing new celebrities every years as the older ones slowly disappear or they only live in our memories. And if you think that we are exaggerating, imagine a beautiful woman. Now, did you imagine a young, vital woman or a woman in her 70s? There is no reason to be ashamed of yourself, though. It is in our culture to connect beauty with youth, but it is more important to be aware of this and we should try to change it. There are many people who are so beautiful in their 60s, 70s and even 80s, so we decided to make a list of 15 stars who prove that this is true!
1. Chita Rivera is a famous actress, dancer and singer, but she is best known for her amazing roles in musical theatre. Chita is 83 years old, but she looks much younger! It may have something to do with her active lifestyle: Chita showed a prodigy dancing ability when she was only 15 years old. Ever since, the famous musical star has built an incredible career for almost half a century! Chita is also the first Latino American to receive a Kennedy Center Honors award. Life is truly inspiring sometimes.
2. Tina Turner is one of the most iconic singers in the history of popular music. Tina is also an actress, dancer and an author and she is 76 years old! That’s right, and this gentleman in the photo is her husband, Erwin Bach, with whom she got married in 2013, in Switzerland. Oh, and Tina is a Swiss citizen, even though she was born and raisedin the US. Tina is an inspiring woman and a role model to all women- it is never too late to change things in your life and finally live like you’ve always wanted to.
3. Can you believe that Betty White is 93 years old? Betty has one of the most cheerful and positive spirits of all time! Betty is also such a talented woman: she is an actress, animal rights activist, comedienne, author, producer, radio host, singer and TV personality! Betty has been on TV ever since television became popular! She was one of the first brave women who worked both in front and behind the camera and she was the first woman to produce a sitcom, so it seems that being busy is the key to a long and happy life.
4. Sophia Loren is, as you already know, an iconic celebrity. She is one of the most popular Italian actresses ever, but she actually started her career when she was only 14 years old, after entering a beauty pageant in 1949! Sophia was encouraged to enroll in acting lessons because she was very talented, and she got several minor roles until the late 1950’s, when she signed a five-picture contract with Paramount. The rest is history and today, Sophia is 81 years old and she is still as beautiful as always.
5. Shirley McLaine is also 81 years old and she still looks fantastic! Shirley is a movie, TV and theater actress, but she is also famous for her singing career, dancing and writing books. The famous actress won many prestigious awards as well; she has won an Academy Award, five Golden Globe Awards, an Emmy Award and two BAFTA (British Academy Film Awards) Awards. In 2013, Shirley received the Kennedy Center Honors for lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts as well.
6. Gloria Steinem is another 81 years old, ageless star on this list, but she is so much more than her age. Gloria is a feminist, journalist and social and political activist. She gained national recognition as a leader and spokeswoman for the feminist movement during the late 1960’s and the early 1970’s. You may also remember her columns she used to write for New York magazine. After she published an article titled “After Black Power, Women’s Liberation,” she became famous as a strong, feminist leader.
7. Carol Burnett is most certainly an ageless star. Carol became famous an an actress and comedienne, but she is also a singer and writer. You may know her best for her TV show “The Carol Burnett Show” on CBS. Even though Carol didn’t have an easy childhood because she moved with her grandmother from her alcoholic parents to Hollywood, she still managed to succeed in life. She created some of the most memorable characters in the history of television and naturally, she received many awards for her contribution. Carol is 82 years old.
8. Nancy Kwan is 76 years old, but she sure looks younger! Nancy was born in Hong Kong and she was one of the most exotic faces of the 1960’s; born in a biracial family, Nancy was considered a sex symbol during this period. However, Nancy is not only significant because of her beauty or her genes- she also had an important role in accepting actors of Asian ancestry in popular Hollywood movies. Today, Nancy is still a spokeswoman for the Asian American Voters Coalition, a Pan-Asian political group established in the 1980’s to help Asian actors.
9. Freda Payne is another ageless star on this list who is best known for her hit single from the 1970’s, “Band of Gold”. Freda is a Soul and R&B singer, but she is also famous for her roles in musicals and movies. Freda was even the host of a talk show at one point, which means that she is truly multi-talented. It must be because of her genes too: Freda is the older sister of former Supreme, Scherrie Payne. When it comes to her recent activities, the 73-year-old joined other celebrities such as Kanye West, Jordin Sparks, Barbra Streisand and many others on “We Are The World” for Haiti Relief.
10. Diahann Carroll is a famous TV and stage actress, but she is also famous for being a singer. The 80-year-old star seems ageless, which really gives us hope that some day, we can look like Diahann when we are in our 80s! Diahann starred in “Julia,” one of the first TV shows on American TV that presented a non-stereotypical role of an African-American woman. Diahann is, however, the most famous for her role on the popular soap opera “Dynasty”. Diahann played legendary Dominique Deveraux.
11. Believe it or not, Anne Rice is 74 years old. However, she looks much younger, which makes this successful star ageless! Anne is, of course, an author of gothic fiction, Christian literature and erotica. She is also best known for her incredibly popular series of novels, “The Vampire Chronicles”. As you already know, these books were used for two movie adaptations, “Interview with the Vampire” in 1994 and “Queen of the Damned” in 2002. Today, Anne is still active and as inspiring as always.
12. Marilyn McCoo is a famous singer, actress and TV presenter. In her career, Marilyn was best known as the lead female vocalist in the group The 5th Dimension. During the 1980’s, Marilyn hosted music countdown series called “Solid Gold”. This gorgeous woman is 74 years old, and she is still famous for her four-octave vocal range! Marilyn has been married to her bandmate, Billy Davis Jr since 1969. In 2009, the famous couple celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary.
13. Carmen Dell’Orefice is a famous model and actress. This beautiful and elegant lady is obviously ageless- she has been known within the fashion industry for being one of the world’s oldest and most successful working models as of the Spring/Summer 2012 season. Carmen was on the cover of Vogue when she was only 15, and she has been modelling ever since. She was actually discovered while riding a bus to a ballet class, when she was approached by the wife of photographer Herman Landschoff. Carmen is 84 years old today.
14. Rita Moreno is another very talented and still, very beautiful star. Rita is a famous Puerto Rican actress and singer who won many prestigious awards; Rita is actually the only Hispanic and one of the twelve performers to have won all four major annual American entertainment awards, including an Emmy, an Oscar, a Grammy and a Tony! Rita’s first Broadway role was in “Skydrift” when she was only 13 years old! Today, Rita is still as gorgeous as always and she is 84 years old.
15. We are closing this list with a legendary singer, actress and filmmaker- the one and only, Barbra Streisand. Barbra’s career is filled with awards, nominations, fans and so much talent. She has even been nicknamed Queen of The Divas, so that definitely means something! Barbra won two Academy Awards, ten Grammy Awards, five Emmy Awards… The list goes on and on. She is also one of the best-selling music artists of all time- Barbra sold more than 72 million albums in the US only. Today, Barbra is 73 years old.